Sunday, November 27, 2005

I want the works. I want the whole works. I want it now. Don't care how. ('I do, actually')

A few days ago, a visitor. A visitor by accident. Someone from the aforementioned list of extensions must've been checking their logs, and dropped by.

Is it true that nearly all good geeks check their referrer statistics with unfailing regularity? The tendency I'm alluding to, for the non-bloggers/domain-hosters reading this, is a bit like checking the email (accounts.)

Maybe having an always-on connection (and, sometimes, even while not having it) automatically contains within it the possibility of (amongst other things) propping up that POP3 monitor or Trillian plugin to a ten minute schedule of what is essentially network resource wastage.

To use it as an example (in whose vicinity everything lurches - questions of particularity, exemplarity etc.), all this, of course, can be taken to imply an essential emptiness at the 'heart' of technology... In my experience/reading, however, this is an emptiness distinct from the oft-used accusation of "nihilism!" More on that when I've read these books, if ever... (sigh.)

Various non-attempts, prior to this blog, were stymied by a very powerful tension. The elements and forces in this standoff were simplicity of management/maintenance, a(nother) desire for simplicity (in design), the urge to produce some mind+eye candy, and the problem of time/effort. These issues haven't disappeared ((can they ever?), but already, a handful of posts down, I'm feeling dissatisfied with Wordpress. No IP logging, for example. Not being able to incorporate some nifty tricks (like this menu.) Not knowing how to edit the template.

:-(

I'll be shifting to blogspot.com soon. Until then, a song to lighten the mood, is below.

Veruca Salt: Gooses! Geeses!
I want my geese to lay gold eggs for Easter
Mr. Salt: It will, sweetheart
Veruca: At least a hundred a day
Mr.Salt: Anything you say
Veruca:And by the way
Mr. Salt: What?
Veruca: I want a feast.
Mr. Salt: You ate before you came to the factory
Veruca: I want a bean feast!
Mr. Salt: Oh, one of those
Veruca: Cream buns and doughnuts and fruitcake with no nuts
So good you could go nuts
Mr. Salt: You can have all those things when you get home
Veruca: No, now!!
I want a ball
I want a party
Pink macaroons and a million balloons
And performing baboons and ...
Give it to me
Rrhh rhhh
Now!

I want the world
I want the whole world
I want to lock it all up in my pocket
It's my bar of chocolate
Give it to me
Now!

I want today
I want tomorrow
I want to wear 'em like braids in my hair
And I don't want to share 'em

I want a party with room fulls of laughter
Ten thousand tons of ice cream
And if I don't get the things I am after
I'm going to scream!

I want the works
I want the whole works
Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises
Of all shapes and sizes
And now
Don't care how
I want it now
Don't care how
I want it now
___

Exactly. Geese that lay gold eggs. Performing baboons.
But, most of all, I want a party with room fulls of laughter.
And ten thousand rums and ice creams...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home